photos & a guest post from
alumna Betty Valerius O'Regan
One thing that I noticed that was different from when I was at camp (1969-1973) was more awareness of offering vegetarian options, being able to accomodate different tastes, and attention to food allergies (why are food sensitivities so prevalent these days I wonder again?)
One of my vivid memories as an 8 year old camper was uncooked Spam sandwiches. Crispy, fried Spam is one thing, but a cold, gelatinous chunk is another. Do they still make Spam?
Here is another truth...any CA staffer has the privilege of working with others of such a high caliber that they will be worthy life-long friends (or even in several cases, spouses, which should also be friends BTW.) Here are two of my stories.
Later this summer I will be having a mini-reunion at Family Camp with Brenda Brown Eyes (named in a song by musician and Rec Hall Manager, Scott Birney, from his hammock) Everyone loved Brenda (Ellen Cooper) with her red hair and gentle nature, but she was a "lost soul"...that is a former staffer with whom we have lost touch and have no contact information...don't ever become one. I tried asking friends, searching the internet, locating parents and finally she appeared on Facebook . We have been happily reconnecting with each other again. I can't wait to hug her and give her a great, big Arrowhead smile in August.
Maybe, if you like this blog, I will write another one about our visit together. We will surely have lots of stories to share and feelings to express, and maybe even some adventures to report.
Betty Valerius O'Regan
Camp Arrowhead Alumni Association-past president
1969-73, LTG, Craft Shop
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 medium OR 1 large onion, diced
2 T vegetable oil
4 cups uncooked instant rice
6 cups pizza sauce
5 cups water
14 oz. can mushrooms, drain liquid
12 oz. can diced tomatoes, with liquid
2 T Italian seasoning
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
8 oz. pepperoni slices (optional)
1 lb ground beef or turkey (optional)
- Optional: Brown ground meat. Set aside
- Saute green peppers and onion in a little veg. oil
- Combine rice, pizza sauce, water, mushrooms, and tomatoes with the vegies. Stir
- Cook, covered, until rice is done
- Serve Pizza Rice topped with cheeses (with or without meat.) If using meat, stir in before adding cheese....or
- Serve vegetarians before adding meat. Then add meat and serve non-vegetarians. Put the cheese on top...or
- If using pepperoni put it into the pizza rice before serving, to heat the pepperoni. Then add cheeses and serve.